Monday, December 19, 2011

Fishing in the Mooloola river and Mountain Creek

Hello,

Past weekend the weather had smiled at us - with sunny mornings and some calmer winds. It was all I needed to get outside and paddle the surrounding waters.

I started on Friday morning, intended to set out to the ocean, but when I got there, it was raining and windy, so I launched and turned back into the marina and Mooloola river. 

I paddled between the numerous Yachts and Boats that were tied to the private pontoons of every house on the river. Some of the Yachts were quite impressive, usually in correlation with the size and luxury of the house:

I paddled further upstream, past drowsy, sleepy Mooloolaba and into Mountain Creek, where the houses are modest and scarce, with enough room for natural habitat, including various water birds, fish and even a Kangaroo on the bank.

Over there, I stopped to cast some lures and when I gave up and started paddling again, I got a strike at my trolling lure that rested behind me. I reeled in and discovered a Catfish. I wasn't sure if it's legal to take and if there's a bag or size limit, so I checked in my fish guide, but because I was excited (after all, first fish in Australia), I coudln't find it and decided to release it anyway (I don't like Catfish in general).

From there, I paddled back to the marina, with the wind in my back and was very surprised to find free of charge boat ramp with close by car park. I was looking for the catch - a hidden guard, a gate, someone who charges money, but no, it's free of charge, for recreational fishermen like myself.

It is easier to be a fisherman here...
I'll publish some more of the weekend experiences in a short while.
Meanwhile, enjoy the short clip from that day:

No comments: