Sunday, December 25, 2011

Kayaking up Eudlo Creek

Last Saturday, I scheduled a meeting with the coach of the Maroochy river Canoe club, right at the fork with Eudlo creek. The meeting was set for 8:00am, so I had plenty of time to paddle upstream the creek and look for some fish.
I've paddled a bit upstream, got used to trolling the shallow water of the river, getting snugged in branches, sand bars and even a clam that closed itself on my line. I kept looking back at my rods, so much, that the next day I woke with a sour neck...
 After a while I came across two young kayakers and one of them just caught a Flat head. I went over, took some pictures and asked some questions and then I realized that my smallest ocean lures, that I used, are way too big for the river and also the speed that I troll is too high. So I slowed down and indeed, it wasn't long till I caught a nice Flat head (about 50cm), Ha! my first keeper!
I went on, enjoying the relaxed and silent beautiful nature and a after an hour or so, turned back to the Canoe club. I inquired there whether I could rent a sprint K-1 boat for Adi (my beloved wife), when she'll join me here (she's a professional Canoe sprinter). At the club, I've met a legendary paddler - Birgit Fischer, 8 times Olympic gold medalist, in 6 different Olympic games!! She's now practicing in order to participate (and win) in her last Olympic games, in London, as a gift for her 50's birthday! An amazing woman.
After that, I've met a couple of friends with their kayaks and we paddled further upstream, this time without any fish, but with great scenery:
I've also edited a short video:



I've also set out for the ocean in the past week, but haven't caught any fish, just a few lost strikes, which gives a lot to anticipate for.
The weather is a bit stormy now, let's hope it'll clear up before Christmas vacation ends.
Will keep you updated,
Iso

No comments: