Monday, April 27, 2009

Israel Kayak Fishing Tournament 2009

Last week passed very slowly for me, I was waiting anxiously for the annual kayak fishing tournament of the Israel Kayak Fishing forum. This year the 1st prize was bigger than ever - a brand new composite fishing kayak - Kaskazi Dorado II :


The night before the tournement, I've met Nadav, a great friend of mine, and we arranged and prepared all the fishing equipment, kayaks, and our fishing strategy.
As a lesson from last year (we wasted long time paddling to the deep waters and futile attempts of jigging), this year it was clear to us that we're going to troll on the shallow reef.
When we got to the shore early morning, we heard and saw the waves - about 1.5m, and again we knew it's the right conditions for trolling, and not static fishing.
After some administration issues we launched, passed the waves, deployed our lures and headed south according to the GPS fixes of the reef. We paddled south, then turned north, and south again with no signs of fish. Nadav caught one heavy rock, but nothing more.
At that point we met Hadas and all the other Optimists, and she gave us her blessing, and what do you know, 20 minutes later I heard that wonderfull bbzzzz of the reel, and a nice 2 kg Comb Grouper came aboard:
Photobucket

20 minutes later, his twin brother followed. At that point, Nadav started turning green, and feeling sick. We found some anti-nautios peel for him, but it was too late, and after fighting the motion sickness for a while, he had to bail out to shore.
I kept on trolling on the same reef, while Nadav and other friends keep updating me about the other catches. I knew I'm leading, but my lead appeared fragile.
Just before I turned to shore, on my last attempt, the reel sang again, and a third grouper hopped in. When I called to register the catch, the man responsible for registering the fish told me, half laughing, that I can leave the groupers alone and head back as nobody else caught other fish close at size to mine.
I arrived to the shore, where most of the kayakers were already out, met my friends and family who came to congratulate me, and gave myself to the rain of questions, pictures and hugs.
Then came the great moment, recieving the prize - what a great feeling of joy and pride.
Shlomo, one of the living spirits behind the tournament took some pictures from the event:

Another paddler, Edris, edited this nice clip from the day:



That was all, I came with one kayak and went back with 2, plus a great feeling.
I would like to thank all the people who worked hard to get this tournament happening,
to SeaSpeed who generously donated the prizes,
to Nadav who helped a lot and his company is always wellcome,
and ofcourse all the Kayak Fishermen out there.

2 comments:

hadas said...

כל הכבוד על מה שהיה ברור מאליו.מחכה למנגל גדים הבא...
hf

hadas said...

דגים